About Me

I am currently a Junior at The University of South Alabama working to obtain a degree in Secondary Education/Language Arts. I live in Mobile, Alabama. After I obtain my Bachelors Degree, I plan to continue my education and obtain a Masters Degree in English. I am a believer in flexibility and as I am 22 years old at this time, I hope that my goals and aspirations will grow with my knowledge of the world of education.

Thursday, April 16, 2009

Developing an eagerness to learn

When information is shoved in a student's face without an explanation of why the information will be useful to them down the road or why they may find the information interesting outside of the classroom, the student's passion to learn the subject can be lost. Students should be shown several different ways to approach a subject so that they can make their own connections with it. If students make information personal, they are more eager to study the material. I plan to connect the literature or grammar my students are working on with everyday life. I will also be straight forward with my students and tell them that a small amount of knowledge before going out into the world will help them be respected.