About Me

I am currently a Junior at The University of South Alabama working to obtain a degree in Secondary Education/Language Arts. I live in Mobile, Alabama. After I obtain my Bachelors Degree, I plan to continue my education and obtain a Masters Degree in English. I am a believer in flexibility and as I am 22 years old at this time, I hope that my goals and aspirations will grow with my knowledge of the world of education.

Thursday, April 16, 2009

My refusal to rely on lecture alone

I was diagnosed with Adult Attention Deficit Disorder my senior year in high school. Before I began taking medication, lectures were my enemy. Lecturing alone does not educate a student. I believe that if a person does not have to work to obtain something, they can not make it personal and therefor it is never important to them. Knowledge of a subject should be obtained by guided discovery. I will direct my students' paths toward the objectives given. I will give them the materials and information needed to reach their goals. My class and I will discover knowledge of the subject, in a process, together. I will create an environment in which students feel comfortable presenting new ideas or asking questions. I will use hands-on activities, collaborative projects and outside resources to introduce new material. I will give each student a syllabus and a tentative schedule of the material to be covered. The students will be asked to prepare for the lessons by reading ahead so that they can participate in class discussions. I will also have my students keep a reading journal. This will be another way that students can make their learning personal.