About Me

I am currently a Junior at The University of South Alabama working to obtain a degree in Secondary Education/Language Arts. I live in Mobile, Alabama. After I obtain my Bachelors Degree, I plan to continue my education and obtain a Masters Degree in English. I am a believer in flexibility and as I am 22 years old at this time, I hope that my goals and aspirations will grow with my knowledge of the world of education.

Thursday, April 16, 2009

Respect makes room for learning

The line between teachers and students has been drawn for years. The old ideal is that the students are blank slates to be written on by an all-knowing teacher. I do not believe that a student comes into the classroom as a blank slate and I know I will never be an all-knowing teacher. A mutual respect is needed between teachers and students for a productive learning environment. If a teacher has no respect for his/her students, then his/her students will close their minds to what the teacher has to say. Behavior problems might also arise if the student does not feel understood or respected. When I am a teacher, I will make it clear that every person in my classroom will be treated with respect. I will assure them that I do not know everything and that I do not assume that they do not know anything. We will learn from each other as a class and mistakes will be welcomed because mistakes create learning experiences.