About Me

I am currently a Junior at The University of South Alabama working to obtain a degree in Secondary Education/Language Arts. I live in Mobile, Alabama. After I obtain my Bachelors Degree, I plan to continue my education and obtain a Masters Degree in English. I am a believer in flexibility and as I am 22 years old at this time, I hope that my goals and aspirations will grow with my knowledge of the world of education.

Thursday, April 9, 2009

Reflection Journals

I plan to teach Literature and Grammar. At a high school level, students should be able to reflect on the reading assignments and make connections to help them better understand the material. Reflection is a very important step in understanding Literature. I plan to use reflection journals in my classroom. Each student will be asked to write 2-5 entries a week in their journals.(Number of journal entries will depend on objectives to be met that week.) When the class is covering a selected work, they will be expected to reflect on their thoughts and ideas about the book by writing in their journals. If we are studying Grammar at the time, my students will write reflections of personal ideas on any topic. I believe that writing and reflection will give the students a better understanding of the reading material and objectives that need to be met while they are reading. The journals would be taken up each quarter for a grade.